What Is Dhanteras?
Dhanteras, or Dhanvantari Trayodashi, is the day that ushers in the Diwali celebrations. The word Dhan translates to wealth.Theras means “thirteenth” in English and refers to the Krishna Paksha, the 13th lunar day of the Hindu calendar.
Why do people celebrate Dhanteras?
Lord Dhanvantari is the Ayurvedic deity and an incarnation of Lord Vishnu, and his birthday is celebrated two days before Diwali Puja.Supposed to have risen from the sea’s churning with a jar of honey in one hand and a scroll of holy scripture in the other. It is stated that Lord Dhanvantari is the physician to the Gods as well as the teacher and father of Ayurveda.
How to Do Dhanteras Pooja?
● Dhanteras puja is an evening ceremony celebrated by devotees on this auspicious day. During the puja, all members of the household gather to worship the deity and present offerings of fresh flowers, prasad, wheat, and other pulses.
● To welcome Goddess Lakshmi into the home of Dhantrayodashi, small red footprints are made at the front door.
● To further drive away evil vibes, a square diya with four candles is lit at the front door and throughout the home.
Buying Gold on Dhanteras and the Story behind it
Because of their purported ability to ward off evil spirits, gold and silver are popular purchases during Dhanteras.
In fact, this theory has a fascinating mythology attached to it.
● Legend has it that King Hima’s son will be fatally bitten by a snake on the fourth day of his marriage, just as the astrologers had predicted.
● When the time arrived, his wife prevented him from sleeping by placing a pile of gold and silver coins in front of the door of their bedroom.
● She did things like turn on lamps at the door, tell stories, and sing to her spouse to keep him awake.
● The God of Death, Lord Yama, masked himself as a serpent and made his way to the Prince’s apartments, but the dazzling array of lighting and jewelry he saw upon the doorstep dazzled and dazzled him to death.
● The Prince’s wife read him bedtime stories and songs, so he spent the night perched atop the pile of gold coins outside their chambers.
● The snake quietly left the next morning as the sun came up. The Prince was saved from certain death by his quick-witted wife. Dhanteras is a festival commemorating that time.
Gold is thought to bring good fortune and a greater return if purchased on this day. It makes perfect sense, too, because precious metals like gold have a higher secondary market value.Jewelers all around India will have special discounts and sales, and many people will throng to buy jewelry as a part of the celebration, even if they only buy gold coins.
You can also read: Tips to appease Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, this Diwali
Overall, Dhanteras is the first day of Diwali and a joyous occasion when the divine deities are petitioned for riches and good fortune.It is said that any money spent on gold or other valuables on this day would return to the buyer one thousand times over. To make this occasion even more auspicious contact Anil Astrologer and get guidance for the best muhurat to do dhanteras pooja.